Taking it further

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of our Practice Complaints Policy you may refer the matter to NHS England, who commission local health services.

Complaints to NHS England

If a complainant has concerns relating to a directly commissioned service by NHS England, they will usually be resolved on the spot with their local service provider. This is called an Informal Complaint Resolution and is in line with the recommendations of the Complaints Regulations of 2009.

If it is not appropriate to raise a concern informally or where informal resolution fails to achieve a satisfactory outcome, the complainant has the right to raise a formal complaint with either the service provider or the commissioner of the service NHS England.

A complaint or concern can be received by mail, electronically or by telephone:

Tel: 03003 112233

Email: england.contactus@nhs.net


NHS England
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)

If you are still not satisfied by their response, the next step would be to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review how the complaint has been handled. Using these details below:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 0154033

If you are not happy with the Ombudsman’s decision, then you can appeal directly to the PHSO. Details of this process can be found on their website; www.ombudsman.org.uk.

Once the Ombudsman or one of their senior staff has considered the complaint and sent a response, their decision is final. Unless you raise any new issues that they consider significant to the complaint, they will not send any further replies (but still acknowledge further correspondence).

Date published: 14th March, 2022
Date last updated: 14th March, 2022